As part of a study of civil disobedience, class members read excerpts from the writings of activists who were willing to break the law to protest unjust laws.
4 Views 5 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- Have groups research or provide background information about the Catonsville Nine, including Daniel and Philip Berrigan and Thomas Lewis
- Add a fifth column to the wall chart about possible consequences
- Requires individual copies of the four primary source materials
- Ensure class members understand the difference between lawful protest and civil disobedience
- Class members should be familiar with the acts of civil disobedience of Thoreau, Gandhi, King, and the Catonsville Nine
- The writing activity requires learners to synthesize what they have learned through the activities and discussions