This Civil War lesson plan also includes:
Historical poetry is lyrical in form and rich with content. After examining the differences between the Northern and Southern states before and during the U.S. Civil War, learners complete a Venn diagram and create an illustration of the differences between the opposing sides. They then write a poem based on their research and class discussion.
- Encourage class members to present their poems at a school poetry slam
- Poetry assignment may require more guidance than provided on the handout
- Designed for elementary readers but well-suited for middle schoolers as well
- Uses a song from Rogers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma as an example of the poetic form
- Provides differentiation options for struggling readers or English learners