This Codes in a Song—Modems activity & project also includes:
Let's listen to some codes. To understand how a modem sends binary numbers over a phone line, class member listen to the codes included in the provided mp3 files, translates the tones to binary numbers and then convert the binary numbers to letters that send a message.
- Introduce binary numbers to the class before this activity
- Identify the different ways the video sends codes and have groups work on only one method
- Younger learners may find it difficult to find the message in the video
- The audio methods are a unique way to show binary digits
- Provides the translation from numbers to letters
- There are no answer keys for the audio files or the video