This Counting Dots in Arrays assessment also includes:
Mathematical arrays can represent several different math skills, including counting groups, multiplication, and even area. In this specific task, learners are asked to identify the addition equations that are equal to a 3 x 4 array. Little do your second graders know that they are learning the basics to multiplication.
- Have class members circle the rows in one color and then circle the columns in another color to easily distinguish rows from columns
- Use with third graders to introduce multiplication
- The teacher guide provides commentary and can be used to supplement instruction on representing a given quantity in more than one way
- If using as an assessment, ensure individuals are experienced in working with arrays
- Comes with several possible answers
- Lays a solid structure for understanding multiplication