This Create a Topographic Profile of Beacon Valley lesson plan also includes:
Landforms in Beacon Valley, Antarctica, where there is no snow, bear a striking resemblance to landforms found on Mars. Scholars identify landforms found in Beacon Valley through analysis of topographic maps in the activity. They then compare these landforms to those found on Mars by analyzing photographs.
- Use in a lesson on topographic maps, a unit on space explorations, or on landforms
- Requires printing topographic maps ahead of class and on 8.5 x 14 paper
- Resources provide directions on how to access Mars images
- Assumes learners can read a topographic map and understand polygon formation (from glaciers)
- Activity provides high-quality topographic maps
- A plethora of other resources and links are found at the end of the lesson