This Developing an Explanation for Mouse Fur Color activity & project also includes:
Whether or not you think mice are nice, you'll love the colorful activity! Scholars examine evidence for evolution in the rock pocket mouse through video, discussion, and collaborative work. Learners watch a video regarding variation in mouse fur color, then identify and organize evidence to support an explanation of fur color as an inherited trait.
- Link the lesson to the MC1R gene that influences human skin color using a related video
- Use the question where students apply their understanding of fur color to a different mouse species as a group discussion or individual assessment
- Make sure the class understands genetic terms like allele, variation, and inherited trait before beginning the study
- Shows pupils a simple, organized method for creating and supporting an argument with evidence
- The teacher's guide contains a wealth of strategies for presenting the material, as well as printable worksheets and answer keys