This Do Journalists Shape or Report the News? lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Analyze the presence of negative stereotypes and biased reporting in news media, and how this affects one's understanding of other cultures. Learners read newspaper excerpts and quotes from famous personalities to discuss the power of the media on society and the concept of "bad news sells".
- Ask pupils to research the steps that journalists and news organizations must take to ensure accuracy in their reporting, as well as any general guidelines they follow for the type of news they choose to cover
- This resource is meant to follow a lesson on media analysis and determining fact vs. opinion in news publications, and is part of a twelve-lesson series on developing cultural awareness
- Also touches on considerations news organizations must make when deciding what to publish
- All activity materials provided
- Several resource worksheets included to support discussion