This Do Microorganisms Live in Antarctica? lesson plan also includes:
Can microorganisms live in the dry, cold climate of Antarctica? Young scientists view a research project measuring microorganisms in the Taylor Glacier. They record the findings from dirty ice, clean ice, boots, sediment, and more. Then analysis questions lead them to determine if their original hypotheses were correct or need to be adjusted.
- Graph the answers given to the two hypotheses
- Use the same procedures to culture microorganisms from pupil's hands, shoes, etc.
- Requires prior knowledge of what microorganisms are, how they reproduce, and what they need to survive
- Lesson easily adapts to be a class project, small group project, individual project, or even a homework assignment
- Requires simple, common materials and no laboratory equipment