This Effectiveness of Nonviolent Civic Action Simulation on Colombia activity & project also includes:
With new leadership comes new hope! After years of violence, the people of Colombia elect a new president ... could this mean an end to conflict? Civics scholars take part in a large group role-playing exercise designed to illustrate the effectiveness of nonviolent protest. The resource builds cultural knowledge as well as a deeper understanding of conflict resolution.
- Show a video of a nonviolent protest from 2009 to give the class an emotional connection to the Colombian people and to the lesson
- Pass out everyone's role well in advance of the lesson to give them plenty of time to prepare
- Assign the research and role preparation as homework to streamline the lesson and allow more in-class time for the simulation
- Detailed background information helps participants prepare for their roles
- The planning resources are helpful and well-organized