This Energy of Bond Formation interactive also includes:
Show your chemistry class that there's much more to covalent bonding than sharing electrons! Pupils manipulate atoms of hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon to observe the energy of bond formation using a well-rounded interactive. The resource illustrates attractive and repulsive forces, potential energy versus distance, and the probable locations of electrons within electron clouds.
- Instruct learners to move atoms together until the forces acting upon them balance, then observe the potential energy graph
- Have the class explain why all of the atom pairs repel one another at certain distances
- Swap over to spacefill mode to provide a simpler view for students
- The potential energy graph tracks every movement of the atoms, allowing users to make multiple observations
- Two views, spacefill and electron cloud, give instructors more options for assignments and assessments