This Falling Glowsticks activity & project also includes:
How can you determine the height of a drop off a cliff if you have nothing to measure it with? A movie clip sets up a sky-high challenge and solves it with a falling glow stick. Scholars must take the given information and decide how high they are from the bottom. To finish, they compare their answers to the answer from the movie.
- Find the answer in metric and imperial measurements
- Discuss why they used a glow stick and not a rock
- Assumes students know the speed things fall based on gravity
- Relates math to a popular movie
- Introduces a rarely used survival skill