This Falling Rocks activity & project also includes:
Can you determine how far down a rock drops without visual clues? Viewers observe a clip from a movie testing vertical distance only based on sound. They must determine if it is safe to drop down themselves or if it is farther than their ropes will reach. They apply the correct formula and consider all possible variables to come to the correct conclusion.
- Explain why the size or weight of the item dropped is not important
- Discuss how the group can get to the other side of the cave
- Assumes prior knowledge of the speed of objects falling due to gravity
- Connects math and science concepts
- Works well as guided practice or in small groups