The First Amendment does not always protect free speech. An informative video focuses on how the government has interpreted free speech over the years and efforts like the Sedition Act to limit free speech. Academics learn how our founding fathers and Supreme Court justices have helped to shape public opinion on how speech is protected.
- Show learners the text of The Sedition Act and read it aloud
- Guide a group discussion on the importance of free speech and free press
- Video is part one of the First Amendment Speech and Press and the larger Constitutional Hall Pass Series
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Video uses real-life examples of challenges to free speech
- The resource shows multiple speakers to create more engaging material