What can we learn about the evolution of mammals from a fisher? An engaging video from Brain Scoop's fossils and geology series illustrates the anatomical features of mammals through the dissection of a fisher. Content includes the specialized structures that differentiate mammals from reptiles, insightful commentary on the inner workings of muscle and bone, and how comparative anatomy allows scientists to study the genetic makeup of ancient species.
- Make the video the focal point of a mammalian anatomy lesson or evolution study
- Provide diagrams of notable muscle groups to the class so they can see their points of attachment
- Consider an alternative activity for pupils not comfortable with dissection
- Due to the highly technical nature of the resource, some aspects of the dissection may be difficult for younger learners to understand
- This video is hosted on YouTube
- The narrator and researcher explain each structure encountered during the dissection
- Relates the anatomy of current mammal species to ancient ones to allow viewers to see how evolution occurred