This Fresh Solutions: Design Thinking Challenge lesson plan also includes:
How do people transport fresh water long distances to ensure everyone has access to it? The final lesson in the 10-part Fresh Solutions unit encourages individuals to design their own solution, or solutions, to that very problem. Groups select a challenge and work through the same design process scientists use to address the dilemma.
- Spend time on the design process and explain how the process requires knowledge from science, math, engineering, language arts, and history
- Offer extra credit for anyone who gets their ideas implemented at a larger level than just their own homes
- Depending on which challenge is accepted, the lesson may last anywhere from one hour to a week
- Links to many other design thinking challenges for inspiration
- Wraps up the large unit with a project demonstrating knowledge without requiring a test