Why Lesson Planet?
Celebrate the arrival of winter with a reading of Jack Ezra Keats' book The Snowy Day. Engaging children by asking them about their own experiences in the snow, the teacher goes on to read the story aloud before asking the class to draw pictures and write complete sentences describing their favorite winter activities.
- Teach this lesson as part of winter season unit in the primary grades
- Consider starting the lesson by brainstorming a list of words that students associate with snow
- Supplement the lesson by showing children pictures of additional winter activities not included in the story
- Engage learners by having them act out the different winter activities mentioned in the story
- Use students' drawings to create a winter bulletin board or class book
- Lesson requires a copy of the book The Snowy Day by Jack Ezra Keats, which can be found in your school or local public library
- Includes writing prompts that extend the lesson for advanced or older students
- Lesson offers suggestions for teaching about snow in warmer climates