Georges Guynemer's legend lives on in statues, street names, and even a Twilight Zone Episode, but few American learners have ever heard of the French national hero. Considered the ace of aces, Guynemer was part of the rock star elite of battle aviators and had a record number of kills before enemies shot him down. His death remains a mystery, but the video welcomes scholar speculation on Guynemer and the role of technology in World War I.
- Use as research for a project on military technology or aviation
- Discuss the role of technology in World War I, using the video as a case study
- Some background in the new technologies in World War I is helpful
- Part of the Who Did What in WWI? video series
- Intriguing images stimulate learners' interest
- Video highlights the role of aviation in World War I, helping students see the influence of new technology in the conflict
- Debunks stories around Guynemer's death using a house aviation expert, but it does not explain the qualifications of that expert