This Grade 9 ELA Module 1, Unit 1, Lesson 4 lesson plan also includes:
Connect with the text using helpful annotation strategies. As your class reads the first section of Karen Russell's short story, "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves," they note important passages that establish character development, and work on integrating quotations into their writing.
- Use in an informational or persuasive writing unit to encourage learners to gather appropriate evidence
- Have your class share their Quick Writes with small groups or project onto the board for a class discussion
- The lesson is labeled as the fourth in the unit, but it addresses the first part of the story (the previous lessons address later parts of the story); consider reorganizing the lessons to reflect the sequential order
- Provides only the completed example of the character tracking tool, but the blank form can be found in the third lesson
- Includes a printable set of bookmarks with annotation marking hints, such as boxing unfamiliar words and using exclamation marks to note connections in the text
- Focuses on important and versatile writing skills