This Grade 9 ELA Module 1, Unit 1, Lesson 6 lesson plan also includes:
Can you tell everything about a character based on his or her actions? Delve into the prominent characters of Karen Russell's "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves" with helpful reading tips and discussion question. A thorough lesson plan provides vocabulary words, a graphic organizer to track development, and a writing prompt to analyze the characters of Mirabella and Jeanette.
- Project the graphic organizers onto a whiteboard for learners to fill out together
- Have your class keep a reading journal with copies of the tracking organizers, or a notebook for them to copy down important passages
- Look for the short story on page 258 of the attached module overview; the listed page number (229) refers to the original publication page
- The sixth lesson in a series of 17 based on the short story
- Includes a document version of the lesson plan for editing
- Encourages close reading and active notetaking