This Grade 9 ELA Module 2, Unit 3, Lesson 10 lesson plan also includes:
Did Bernie Madoff fit the profile of a Ponzi schemer because, as Diana Henrique contends in an excerpt from her The Wizard of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death, he “did not fit the profile of a Ponzi schemer”? Huh? Groups begin their close reading of Henrique's piece by identifying support she provides for this claim.
- Begin with a brief discussion of stereotypical bad guys, their appearance, and their behaviors
- Ask a class member to prepare the masterful reading of the day's protion of the text
- The 10th in a 13-lesson unit that uses “True Crime: The Roots of an American Obsession," “How Bernard Madoff Did It,” and excerpts from Diana B. Henriques's The Wizard of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death of Trust as anchor texts
- The eight-page packet includes a list of the Common Core standards addressed by the lesson, a vocabulary list, discussion questions with model responses, and a homework assignment
- Some readers may need additional support to keep up with their Accountable Independent Reading (AIR) assignment