This Grade 9 ELA Module 3, Unit 2, Lesson 6 lesson plan also includes:
Having formulated a list of inquiry questions based on a reading of Temple Grandin's Animals in Translation, high schoolers go on to complete a frame tool for their research. They categorize their questions based on preliminary research and trace the inquiry paths of each. For homework, learners choose their strongest questions to pursue through independent research.
- Have ninth graders rotate through learning stations or small groups to field their questions and brainstorm with peers
- Use the lesson on a day when you don't have access to computers or tablets
- Consider condensing the lesson and/or unit to meet the needs of your curriculum and the interest level of the class
- Part of a longer research unit that builds from the first unit in a language arts module
- Scaffolds a complicated research process
- Models inquiry-based learning, which can undoubtedly help ninth graders throughout their high school and college career