This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 21 lesson plan also includes:
Class members read the chapter, "Serfs and Sweetness" from Sugar Changed the World, and identify the central idea that the development of beet sugar and the use of modern farming technology changed the reliance on the plantation system and made slave labor inefficient and thus obsolete.
- Have groups investigate sources of sugar and the processes used to produce these sweeteners
- Designed to directly address Common Core standards RI.9-10.2 and L.9-10.4.a, b
- The focus of the one-unit module is on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- 21st in a 28 lesson unit that uses Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science as a central text
- The nine-page packet includes a detailed plan and discussion question with model responses
- All the lessons in the unit follow the same format