Ear wax, either wet or dry, is inherited on chromosome 16. The narrator of a video about heredity uses ear wax to introduce the concepts of alleles, dominant and recessive traits, and heterozygous and homozygous genotypes.
21 Views 14 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable NGSS: Adaptable
- Have learners research different traits, their dominance, statistics about their presence in the population, and phenotypes of each allele and present their findings to the class
- Assumes scholars understand alleles
- Video nine in a series of 40
- A nice, brief history of heredity, from Aristotle to Gregor Mendel
- Examining the ear wax gene is a great way to hold viewers' interest
- Video contains a lot of vocabulary and information, so some students may be overwhelmed