The past helps to inform the present and the future—that's why the study of history is so important. The handout describes what historians do and why their jobs are meaningful. Readers learn about what to expect in a college-level history course, including typical writing assignments.
- Ask learners to generate lists of examples of primary and secondary sources
- Have scholars engage in a free-writing activity based on a history topic, then ask volunteers to share
- Requires Internet access unless teachers print the handout in advance
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides a wealth of reputable information
- Includes links to additional handouts
- Written in an engaging, conversational style