This Homeostasis and Negative Feedback – Concepts and Breathing Experiments lesson plan also includes:
More asthma attacks happen at higher altitudes, but why? Scholars complete worksheets, learning about homeostasis and feedback related to breathing. Then, they work in small groups to experiment with breathing in limited amounts of oxygen. To finish, a class discussion helps summarize the importance of cellular respiration.
- Discuss why many athletes train at high elevations
- Relies on prior knowledge of cellular respiration, ATP, altitude, and oxygen
- Any student with respiratory or heart problems should not participate in the experiment, and those with asthma should keep their inhalers nearby
- Includes teacher tips for implementing each section of the lesson
- Provides many diagrams and photographs to support major concepts