This Hoot: Anticipation Guide lesson plan also includes:
Should companies be able to build wherever they want? Are animals worth protecting? Explore the literary themes from Carl Hiaasen's Hoot with an anticipation guide. Kids read ten statements and decide if they agree or disagree, then contribute to a class discussion in which they can discuss their opinions.
- Have kids choose one of the topics to write a persuasive essay
- Encourage learners to jot down a few notes explaining their position for each topic
- Have students reflect on their anticipation guides after reading the book, and write a short paper about how their opinions have changed or stayed the same
- Consider whether or not you want to reward consensus with candy
- Thought-provoking questions are sure to inspire discussion between your middle schoolers
- Provides worksheet for kids to fill out