This How Many Days Until Summer Vacation? assessment also includes:
On the 124th day of school, young mathematicians are asked to find out how many days are left in the 180-day school year. The teacher version to the task offers several ways the problem can be solved, and can be used to guide instruction on different problem-solving methods.
- Use on or around the 124th day of school to make the situation relevant
- Put learners in pairs and assign them different methods for solving, such as on a number line, hundreds board, using base-ten blocks, and counting on and backwards. Then have them present their methods to the class
- Requires a class set of hundreds boards and base-ten blocks, and assumes that pupils are familiar with using both
- Modify the task as necessary to extend challenge learners
- The task allows second graders to choose their method for solving (base-ten blocks, hundreds board, counting on, counting backward)
- Focuses on subtracting three-digit numbers with regrouping