Use the natural logarithm to simplify differentiation. The 22nd resource in a series of 31 provides an example of a problem that would be best differentiated by using logarithms. The presenter takes the natural logarithm of both sides. Using the properties of logarithms and its derivative, the equation becomes easier to differentiate.
- Review the properties of logarithms
- Lead a discussion on how to determine whether to use the logarithmic differentiation method
- Class members should know the relationship between e and the natural logarithm
- Writes the logarithmic rules applied in the example
- Explains why, for this particular problem, the method might be best