Why Lesson Planet?
Electrify your science class with this simple electrolysis experiment. After first reading about hydrogen and its potential as an alternative energy source, a demonstration is performed showing young scientists how water molecules can be separated into hydrogen and oxygen gas using an electric current.
- Include this experiment in a lesson series comparing and contrasting different alternative energy sources
- Allow students to read the included text in small groups, having them record and share with the class any questions or comments they come up with
- Follow up the demonstration by having students research hydrogen fuel cell technology and other alternative energy sources
- Provides a clear procedure and diagram explaining the electrolysis demonstration
- Includes an informational article on hydrogen fuel cells
- Requires the teacher to develop a worksheet or activity that allows students to demonstrate their learning
- Lab & Experiment
- Informational Text