Skilled readers can find the main idea of an informative passage without finding it directly stated. A reading video prompts elementary learners to examine supporting details in several examples, and to infer what the main idea of the passage could be.
- Copy the longer passages onto handouts for learners to review independently
- Encourage your class to write paragraphs with implied main ideas and explicit supporting details
- Video is a little long for one viewing; break it up at the right moments
- The third of a ten-video series
- Provides solid examples of implied main ideas and encourages ways to make inferences based on context clues
- Video is not very engaging
- Reading passages take up entire slides, which could be overwhelming for younger readers