This In the Newsroom: The Fairness Formula lesson plan also includes:
Reporting the news is easy, right? Think again! Show young scholars the difficult choices journalists make every day through a lesson that includes reading, writing, and discussion elements. Individuals compare the language and sources in articles, then discuss the aspects of the stories that relate to fairness and accuracy.
- Provide articles from diverse sources to give the class the opportunity to examine different reporting styles
- Add one of the included extension activities to give learners a closer look at the journalism profession
- Requires a variety of newspaper articles or a computer with Internet access to read articles online
- Students evaluate very realistic scenarios to practice using fairness standards
- The teacher's guide contains printables and engaging discussion questions