This Introducing Culture lesson plan also includes:
Growing up within a culture leaves a lot of ideas and values unspoken. Take a closer look at the cultures in which your learners live with a discussion activity that addresses cultural identity and traits of those living within the community. As pupils take the perspectives of extraterrestrials viewing human life, they note the ways that details reflect social values and come to a conclusion about their observations.
- Encourage learners to write a narrative essay about either their impressions as extraterrestrials viewing humans on Earth, or their experiences of their own cultures
- Expand the assignment by prompting groups to present their ideas creatively, such as in a Martian newscast or talk show
- Part of a larger unit on cultural awareness
- Does not include an assessment or check for understanding beyond the discussion
- Promotes healthy and mature discussion between peers
- A good tool for social and cultural awareness for middle and high schoolers