This Introduction to Equations lesson plan also includes:
Do your pupils truly understand inverse operations, or is their understanding a little backward? Scholars learn the meaning of an equation in the second lesson of a four-part Algebra series. A series of activities begins with an analysis of equality using a balance and develops into solving equations using reverse operations and modeling with equations.
- Bring in a balance scale to model equation solving
- Use a part of each activity for independent practice to check for understanding
- Requires previous experience with solving equations, the distributive property, and substitution
- Includes options for extension
- Provides multiple strategies for modeling solving equations