This Introduction to The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson lesson plan also includes:
"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson is a great story to share with your class, and this instructional activity focuses on just that story! The eighth in a fourteen-instructional activity series on short stories, the plan has learners study some vocabulary, read the story, and complete questions before and after the story. Pupils also continue work on ongoing projects that are part of the unit.
- Follow along with the unit, or use the materials for "The Lottery" in a stand-alone lesson plan
- Since this is part of a series, you may wish to take a look a previous lessons or adapt the lesson to omit the parts that correspond only within the larger unit
- The presentation mentioned in the plan is not included; however, you can create your own presentation instead or search the Lesson Planet collection
- While the triple entry journal for vocabulary is not provided, this is a generic graphic organizer type and you should be able to find one with a basic Lesson Planet or Google search
- Includes a copy of the story, discussion questions, vocabulary, and other additional materials necessary to complete the lesson
- Some materials are not included; see the Teaching Tips for suggestions on how to make up for the missing items