This Introduction to the Short Story lesson plan also includes:
How should pupils read short stories? Set them up for this unit with an introductory lesson that goes over the main characteristics of a short story and starts learners off reading their first short story of the unit. In order to get a full understanding of the genre, high schoolers complete a KWL, take notes, and read and discuss "Superman and Me" by Sherman Alexie.
- You will need to provide your own introduction presentation or use one from the Lesson Planet search; a note page is provided, so you could base the presentation off of that information
- While the resource doesn't include a Frayer model worksheet, you could easily find one with a Lesson Planet or other online search
- Comes with a copy of the short story (paired with questions), note-taking pages, information about short stories, and additional general questions that could be used to analyze any short story
- Provides a solid background in the genre that will set learners up for success with the rest of unit, or any short story unit
- Does not include all necessary materials; see Teaching Tips for more information and suggestions