This Introductory News Literacy unit also includes:
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Aspiring journalists learn about media literacy, journalism, and the press. Units come complete with handouts, assignment rubrics, notes, and extension suggestions. Each unit also comes with a list of vocabulary words and learning objectives. Pupils should be able to run their own school newspaper after these lessons!
- Have writers keep a portfolio with select assignments throughout the three units to showcase their growth
- Consider inviting a journalist to your classroom from a local newspaper to help with instruction
- Learners may need background information about certain topics before lesson, as outlined in the resource
- Graded assignments come complete with rubrics
- Lesson plans use real-life examples for activities and offer extension opportunities for those demonstrating mastery