It's time to check the mail! The task is to determine the most cost-effective way to mail a packet of information. Young scholars write an equation that models the amount of postage as a function of the number of sheets mailed and another that models the cost as a function of the weight. They then combine functions to make a final conclusion.
- Consider editing to reflect current postal rates
- Have pupils create multiple representations to model the postal costs
- Expects some experience with linear modeling
- Encourages both discussion and written communication
- Incorporates a real-life situation to reinforce the algebra concepts