This Japan, Kabuki, and Bunraku: Crash Course Theater #23 video also includes:
Kabuki and Bunraku may sound like new age exercise routines, but they're actually types of Japanese theater. An informational video describes the history of theater in Japan during the nineteenth century. The resource includes a discussion of suicide plays and the work of Chikamatsu.
- Watch a video of Kabuki theater and point out key characteristics
- Make a Venn diagram to compare Kabuki and Noh theater
- References the Noh theater, cover in an earlier video in the Crash Course Theater playlist
- Discusses mature topics such as prostitution
- Uses modern slang to help make the content more accessible
- Includes images and animations to support the narration