An interview sheds light on author Julia Alvarez's immigration journey from the Dominican Republic to the United States of America. Alvarez describes in detail how she felt creating a new home, what it was like to return to the Dominican Republic, and how she coped through the long transition.
- Gather a collection of books written by Julia Alvarez; share excerpts or allow pupils to read on their own time
- Design a bulletin board that spotlights the contributions by the Hispanic population
- Direct pupils to watch the video at home in preparation for a learning activity when they return to school
- Hispanic Heritage Month takes place from September 15th to October 15th
- Use headphones if class members watch the video independently to reduce noise
- A link lists national standards for history
- The video can be easily downloaded and shared