Having a debate doesn't mean you're fighting. Introduce middle schoolers to debate with a resource which distinguishes between an quarrel and a debate, describes the debate process and format, and presents some possible debate topics.
81 Views 69 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Make copies of the first page of the resource for class members to use for taking notes
- Have the class brainstorm a list of possible debate questions
- Although the two-page resource appears to be for learners, the second page is designed for teacher use
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes sentence frames that prompt debaters on appropriate ways to respond when countering arguments, possible debate topics, and tips for organizing a debate