This Lesson 3: Britain, Napoleon, and the American Embargo, 1803–1808 lesson plan also includes:
While the French were once the allies of Americans, the Napoleonic Wars saw the United States almost drawn into a war with its one-time friend. Wars in Europe threatened to draw in the early republic. A primary source-based activity including documents from the French, British, and American perspectives allows scholars to examine American options during the age of Napoleon.
- Use the primary sources to explore American foreign policy options as described in the lesson plan
- Adapt a portion of the resource to discussion of the Jefferson administration
- Third and final installment of the The Crisis of American Diplomacy, 1793–1808 series
- Ideas for assessment and extension make the lesson plan easy to adapt
- Primary sources are curated and easy to scaffold
- Many links are no longer active, requiring teacher research to use the resource