This Life Vest Challenge activity & project also includes:
- Lab & Experiment
- Join to access all included materials
After reading about the history and science of personal floatation devices, patents, and intellectual property, engineering teams design a life vest for a can of soup. To evaluate which groups considered the need for waterproofing, hold a classroom challenge to find out how long each PFD will keep the can afloat! Note that though the publisher states this lesson is appropriate for ages 8 - 14, it is best suited for upper-elementary engineers.
- Informative background information reading material contains colored photographs for added interest
- A handout guides teams through the designing, constructing, and testing of their device
- Critical thinking skills are developed with reflection questions
- Meets Next Generation Science Standards in engineering and technology