This resource also includes:
- Answer Key
- Join to access all included materials
Increase the depth of your class's fractional number sense with this number-ordering activity. Given four fractions, each with different numerators and denominators, young learners are asked to place them in order from smallest to largest. This challenging task encourages students to choose from three strategies for comparing fractions; using common denominators, common numerators, and benchmark fractions. Solutions will vary, so allow for a class discussion in which different approaches to solving the problem are shared.
- Problem allows for students to develop their own unique solutions
- Includes multiple strategies for comparing fractions
- Clearly addresses the ability of learners to compare fractions
- Requires prior experience with strategies for comparing fractions