This Lone Dog's Winter Count: Keeping History Alive lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
What is oral tradition, and what unique tool did the Native Americans of the Northern Great Plains use to help them remember their complex histories? Through pictograph analysis, discussion, research, and an engaging hands-on activity, young historians discover the process the Nakota people used to design their winter counts to chronicle their history. Learners then document a year of their own personal histories by designing a monthly pictograph calendar.
- At the end of each school year have class members determine which events should be recorded on a winter count chronicling their experiences
- Rich with engaging, hands-on activities
- Draws connections to personal experience and cultural diversity
- Includes all instructional materials and nice progression of lesson procedures