Need help putting together an uncommonly good unit about common ancestry? Check out a video that covers NGSS standard LS4A, Evidence of Common Ancestry and Diversity. Topics include ways to convey similarities and differences between organisms throughout the ages, DNA, and embryology.
- Review the video to make sure your lesson plans cover all the bases without overloading students with too many details and diagrams
- Incorporate Darwin's first phylogenic tree into a discussion centered on how early scientists determined similarities between organisms
- Keep conversations focused on visible clues to similarities in organisms if pupils have not yet learned about DNA
- Includes examples of common ancestry that are suitable for introducing the concept to early elementary pupils
- The narrator shows many helpful tips for simplifying a standard that is often confusing for learners