This Map the Civil War lesson plan also includes:
Mapmaking was a very important element in successfully planning attacks on enemies during the Civil War. Guide pupils through the process of pacing to find the average length of their steps, measure the distance between one object to the next, and draw a scaled map on graph paper.
- Display the provided formulas to view throughout the lesson
- Bring in examples of Civil War maps to use as models
- Provide pupils with graph paper or scratch paper for the drawing portion of the activity
- Measuring tools are necessary for the activity
- Lesson assumes learners already know how to create scaled drawings
- Incorporates math skills into social studies concepts