This Marriage and the State lesson plan also includes:
What defines marriage in society? Scholars investigate the moral and legal arguments of what defines marriage. They analyze different marriage traditions and social customs around the world along with Supreme Court decisions. Individuals discuss the legal issue of marriage openly while forming their own opinions the question "should our democracy permit same-sex couples to marry?"
- Brainstorm what happens at a marriage ceremony prior to the start of the unit
- Extend the lesson with research on current events about recent state laws and decisions regarding gay marriage
- Keep in mind the sensitivity of this social topic
- Resource contains printable worksheets and materials for classroom use
- Includes a teacher deliberation guide and possible student responses