This Math with Jake: Ratios and Fractions activity & project also includes:
And the beat goes on. The installment of the Math at the Core: Ratios series introduces time signatures in music. A musician shows the relationship between different types of musical beats. Working in pairs, classmates create beat patterns and confirm they are full measures by adding their fractional representations.
- Use a metronome to help keep the beat
- Ask a class member who is a drummer to demonstrate different beats
- Individuals should be comfortable adding fractions
- Contains suggestions of questions to ask during the video
- Includes learning outcomes to ensure students are on track