Is your city's history a mystery to your class? Ever wonder if your county contains a bounty of folklore? Young computer scientists incorporate technology with time-honored tales during a project with both individual and group components. Scholars read and summarize published local history stories, then interview a community member to gather information for creating a Wiki page.
- Invite some of your class's interviewees to share their stories live with the group
- Have individuals use the grading rubric to provide feedback to one another
- Groups need a computer with Internet access and Microsoft Word to complete the assignment
- The resource is set in a specific county; consider modifying the lesson using stories from your own county
- The activity puts students more in touch with their history and community
- Organizes group portions of the lesson in a meaningful way