This Modeling: Making Matchsticks lesson plan also includes:
Math: The only subject where the solution to a problem is seven million matches. Young scholars first complete an assessment task estimating the number of matches they can make from a tree of given dimensions. They then evaluate provided sample responses to improve their own solution.
- Use the resource as review for a unit on volume
- Learners need to be able to convert between units of volume (cubic inches and cubic feet)
- Lesson can be extended over two days; see teacher guide for pacing suggestion
- Teacher guide gives an answer key that accounts for all cases (using a pyramid, cone, cylinder, or rectangular prism to model a tree)
- Student materials include a geometric formula sheet that you can use in this lesson as well as others